29 July 2011
to redevelop Mumbles Pier and the foreshore will not be contested by the Welsh Government.
National Assembly officials have decided against getting involved in the outline application for the multi- million pound project.
Swansea councillors in June supported the proposal for apartments and a hotel in order to restoration project for Mumbles Pier.
The plans were then referred to the Welsh Government to decide whether it wished to intervene — or "call in" — the .
A letter sent to Swansea Council, on behalf of and Sustainable Development minister John Griffiths, states that the principal criteria governing the consideration of call in is whether the application raises planning issues which are likely to be of regional or national importance.
The letter adds: "Based on the information provided I do not recommend call-in."
A spokesman for pier owners Ameco said the result was very encouraging.
"It was always the case that the scheme would need to be referred as a departure from existing policies," he added.
"Those involved in this decision have clearly assessed our innovative approach on its own merits."
On Wednesday, July 20, the pier closed for the start of the restoration project, which is set to last for more than two years.
Pre-construction work is now in progress for the £9.5 million restoration project for the 113-year-old structure.
Members of the Mumbles community said they were pleased work on maintaining the pier for future generations had started.
Chairwoman of Mumbles Community Council Linda Tyler- Lloyd has previously said the inconvenience of the closure would prove worth- while.
She added: "The Mumbles Community Council supports our much-loved pier and if it's having to close for a while then the inconvenience in the short term will be worth it in the long run."
The restoration project itself, which will include a new RNLI lifeboat house on the pier-head, is set to begin in the spring.